Sunday, April 19, 2009

Joe Banks and George Bailey Syndrome

There's a life list I have. Places I desire and plan on seeing before I go in the box. Places that top the list are relatively simple. The UK, Hawaii, Paris. Europe in general, really. But I'll have to really pick and struggle and suffer over where I actually manage to get to by hook or crook. I'm not poor, but obligations I have created many. Written out, the list would be exhaustive and impossible to satisfy. I want, and this is a fact, to go....everywhere. I want to see it all, do it all and come back with the music still in my ears and the taste of curry, limes or salted rotting fish (Really. Norway. Look it up) still on my taste buds. I am endlessly curious about this blue earth of ours and I have a railroad soul. That, is a problem. Get to about 7, maybe 8 on the list and the probability of actually crossing it off gets increasingly small. I really let this get me down. I want to know, and I can't understand how everyone doesn't want to know, what everywhere looks, smells, tastes and sounds like, but even with a kings ransom, I'll never see it all. I'll never even get close. I'll never make it to Australia, or Fiji, or Romania. There's too many places that will exhaust the time and money I have long before I get the chance. I'm a big fan of armchair travel, but this hardly satisfies a true traveller. Even a Go-zillionaire couldn't see and do the World completely with the pitiful 80 years we have. I mentally exhaust myself longing and brooding over travel folders and websites. I suppose I should have gone to college and became a photojournalist.

No comments: