Wednesday, April 29, 2009

EXPLODO BOMBERINO!!!

I'm quite pleased with myself today. As I mentioned in a previous blog, I'm a big fan of Polynesian pop, largely owing to the drinks, but also to the history of the movement in the States, because it just happened to occur during the best period (in my opinion) of American style. So today I engaged in a bit of urban archeology and went to my personal bar to tinker and resurrect, or quite possibly, mix for the first time in the history of ever, the exotic known as......"EXPLODO BOMBERINO!!!"
In the 1949 movie "On the Town", Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra and Jules Munshin are three sailors on leave for 24 hours in New York City. They tour the city, meet three shockingly easy women and hijinks ensue. Everyone gets arrested. Implausibly enough, there's a happy ending. Somewhere in between, they visit several nightclubs, one of which designated as The SambaCabana Club. They get a table, and Frank asks the waiter (Hans Conried in an amusing turn as an easily bribe-able french maitre'd) the ingredients of a couple drinks on the menu.

Frank: What's in this one, "Explodo Bomberino"?
Maitre'd: Four kinds of rum, brandy, grenadine, lime juice, papaya juice, the white of one duck egg..........only twelve per customer.

Very funny. I actually think the intent was to make fun of the drinks of the day, because they end up rolling their eyes and ordering a round of beers. Undaunted, I decided to take it from fiction to highly intoxicating fact. And here, are the results:

EXPLODO BOMBERINO!!!

2 oz. Rhum Barbancourt
1 1/2 oz. Gold Jamaican rum
1 oz. gold Puerto Rican rum
1/2 oz. 151 Puerto Rican rum
1/2 oz. Brandy
3/4 oz. Grenadine
1 oz. fresh lime juice
1 1/2 oz. Papaya nectar
1/2 oz. egg white

Blend everything except the 151 with a cup of ice. Pour into a Collins glass, add ice to fill, then float the 151 on top. Ignite, if you dare with a long match from a safe distance. Or, stick a plain white straw in the middle of the ice to make the drink resemble a stick of dynamite. Find a comfortable place to pass out and then drink the drink.


Enjoy, and don't blame me.

1 comment:

erik said...

Like you, I watched On The Town and wondered the same thing! Good to see someone in the world took a crack at the Explodo Bomberino! I hope you don't mind, but I posted a link to your page in a Tiki Drinks group. Cheers!